Wednesday, November 9, 2011

running the race

this is a sight i see daily, if not more. the building in the bottom right corner of this photo (thank you street view maps), the one with green awnings, is a funeral home that is just around the corner from my house here in philadelphia. it is a funeral home that is ALWAYS used. that might be an understatement. if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense -i live in one of the roughest neighborhoods and have seen death often here.
the point of this post isn't to talk about death, per say, or the popularity of this specific funeral parlor...it's to talk about life and joy.
one thing i've notice about the people who attend services here is that they are rarely sad. hundreds of people stand around the streets wearing their spray painted shirts "in memory of...", and they laugh and chat and almost celebrate the circumstance of coming together.
i don't believe ALL of these people have reason to celebrate, but it makes me think about when i die. i hope there is a similar atmosphere in the people who choose to gather. a joy or celebration in the life that i lived. i hope they think of the fullness god gave me and can speak of the endurance i had in "the race".
"6 My life is being given as an offering for God. The time has come for me to leave this life here. 7 I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have served the Lord faithfully. 8 Now, a prize is waiting for me—the crown that will show I am right with God. The Lord, the judge who judges rightly, will give it to me on that Day. Yes, he will give it to me and to everyone else who is eagerly looking forward to his coming." 2 Timothy 4:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment